Thursday 13 August 2009

What do you do with a......?

Hello again Bloggers.

Two blogs today (I think I am quickly becoming addicted to this blogging thing) but this time I have something different for you- a recipe!

With all the delicious homegrown summer produce in abundance at the moment you may, perhaps, have wondered what you could do with the humble courgette (zucchini). Yesterday my office mate presented me with a huge one from her garden- and I mean HUGE! Take a look for yourself-



So, I thought to myself, what will I make? Will I chop it up and boil it? No- yuk! Will I chop it, coat it in batter and fry it? No- too unhealthy! Will I add it to some tomatoes and onions to make a healthy ratatouille? That was a good option, but no, that's not what I did. (This is starting to sound a little like the tale of Goldilocks and the three bears now so I will just get to the point).

I made it into a delicious bake. This is a tried and tested recipe that I have made many times and it really is delicious and so simple and quick to make! So next time you have some spare courgettes why not give it a go? Here's the recipe:-

Ingredients
600 grams of courgette
4 eggs
1/2 cup of grated cheese
1/2 cup plain flour (sifted)
1 chopped onion
1 chopped garlic clove
salt and pepper to season



Step 1
Firstly- wash, chop and grate the courgettes. This really easy and actually quite fun. When you have finished grating, squeeze out the excess water using thick paper towel or a clean cloth and pop it into a bowl.



See easy peasy!



Next, in a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs



Then- just add the other ingredients



It is satisfyingly gooey to mix!



Right- almost there now- no prizes for guessing what to do next. Yes, that's right, mix the gooey, eggy, cheesy mix with the courgettes and season with salt and pepper.



If you like you can also add some extras: mushrooms, bacon, olives, tomatoes, pinenuts. In fact you can add what ever you please. I have added some baby chopped tomatoes to this one.


Finally, pour the whole mixture into a well-greased baking dish and cook in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes. It smells absolutely scrumptious as it's cooking- a delicious combination of cheesy, garlicy bliss and there is no way that you will be able to stop yourself from creeping up to the oven at regular intervals just to have a check!



Take it out when it is cooked to your liking- I like mine quite firm and brown on top, but others may prefer a more golden hue. You can eat this hot or cold and it goes really well with salad and a glass of cold, crisp white wine. Enjoy!!

PS My courgette bake is still in the oven, smelling divine, but not quite ready to take out and photograph. I will add a photo when it is done- promise!




Here it is- YUM!

4 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely gorgeous! We really like courgettes but I normally only do them in a stir fry so I will definitely give that a go :)

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, now I'm hungry. That looks super!
    :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy I can almost taste it! I think my mother used to make something like this, a quiche maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin