Monday 24 August 2009

Sunday success!

Hello Everyone. I hope that you've all had a good day and stayed free from the clutches of the dreaded mondayitis!
Thank you all very much for your lovely comments about my "new look" blog. I must admit that a monster is well in the process of being created and the more I add to it, the more addicted I get! The photo editing business is all a little time-consuming though and very tricky at times.

Anyway, if you haven't already got a nice cuppa in your hands, quickly go and make one and settle down somewhere comfy because I think this is going to be a long post. I've lots to tell you.

Right- are you ready? Okay, here goes- I am going to tell you all about the wonderful day I had yesterday (Sunday).

The weather was bright and sunny so first thing on the to-do list was a visit to a car boot sale. Very conveniently there is one held every couple of weeks just up the road from where we live on a local farm. Having been quite disappointed previously with car boot sales, especially after reading about some of your wonderful finds, I went with no expectations at all. Needless to say, this time I was not disappointed!

The first things that caught my eye were these bowls. Emma Bridgewater look-alikes and for the asking price of 10p for both they just had to come home with me. I hanker after the real thing but just loved these at first sight!

The next thing I came across was a basket full of what looked to be some old cups and saucers. I just love old china so I stopped to have a look and then just couldn't resist it for the £1 that the seller asked for. £1 can you believe it? I was told that it is Victorian so quite old.



What a bargain and such a pretty teaset. After a good wash it looks lovely and I have used some of it already.



As well as the cups, saucers and plates there are 6 little bowls and a large bowl.




I was thrilled to say the least, but better was yet to come. I continued strolling along scanning the stalls for vintage bargains and thrifty buys when I came across this. Has anyone got any ideas of what it might be? Looks just like an old wooden box but there is more.


Let's take a look inside.....



What a beauty! Have another look. It is an absolutely fabulous vintage Singer sewing machine in working order. It has a serial number, which I have looked up and it was made in Clyde in 1910.


I just love the beautiful details and it is in such good condition.

What do you think? Do you like it as much as I do?


Okay- now the most amazing thing of all. After looking at it and drooling over it with love, I asked the lady selling it how much it was. I was expecting something in the region of £35-£40 so nearly fell over when she said £5. Yes, you read that right- just £5. I couldn't get my purse out fast enough. She seemed to want to just get rid of it and told me it used to belong to her great aunt. I couldn't help but feel a little sad.

That was all I found but wow- what a morning!
I have lots more to share with you about the rest of the day including my adventures berry picking, jam making and also one of the most delicious cake recipes I have tried in a long time. However, it is getting very late and I have to get up early for work, so I will save that until tomorrow. Bye for now!

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant finds! I like your kitchen btw! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness look at that sewing machine, nice find!
    I've linked you for an award on my blog today, I hope you don't mind.
    Lucy. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely sewing machine, my mum used to have one like that, I remember using it when I was little. Love that china too!
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing find with the Singer - at least it has gone to a good home - it looks beautifully cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old cups and saucers. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is lovely china, but if it's Victorian it's late, possibly 1870s/80s. I would think myself early 20th century, but a decorative art curator would be able to tell you for sure. Getting it all for a quid tho' who cares?!

    Are you going to use that sewing machine? Seems a shame not to and definitely a huge bargain for what you got.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin